California Tax Education Council


Which tax preparers are California approved?

California is one of the few states to have set requirements for professional tax preparers. State law requires anyone who prepares tax returns for a fee to be either an attorney, certified public accountant (CPA), CTEC registered tax preparer (CRTP) or enrolled agent (EA).

Choosing a tax preparer who is not one of those four professionals may prevent you from legal recourse against fraud. It may also increase your chances for additional taxes, interest and fines. Always verify the legal status of a tax preparer before handing over your private tax information.

By law, paid tax preparers must sign your tax return. Signing "self prepared" or with business labels are red flags for fraud.  Learn more...


Other Helpful Links

IRS Tax Preparer Regulations
FTB - California Tax Preparer Enforcement
California Board of Accountancy
IRS - Enrolled Agents
The State Bar of California
US Department of Justice